McCarthy Keville O’Sullivan Ltd. (MKO) is seeking to recruit a Principal Ornithologist to join and further strengthen the largest ornithology consultancy team in Ireland.
MKO is a specialist environmental and planning consultancy, based in Galway City on Ireland’s west coast and Wild Atlantic Way. The company employs nearly 50 people across its five internal teams, which offer services in the fields of Ornithology, Ecology, Environmental, Planning and Estates & Project Management.
The available role offers an exciting opportunity for an ambitious professional to live in Galway, Ireland’s third largest city, and work on projects all across the country. Within the role, the right candidate will have an opportunity to advance their career as far as their ambitions permit.
The MKO Ornithology team consists of over ten full-time staff, including team managers, office-based data processing staff, and field-based surveyors. Field surveying contractors are also used as required to supplement the full-time staff resources of the company.
The MKO Ornithology team work on private infrastructure projects (primarily wind farms, electricity transmission and other infrastructure projects) and large-scale scientific ornithology assignments for State Agencies and Government Departments, and has a strong pipeline of ornithology work secured for the coming years.
The key responsibilities of the role will be to:
- Scope, design and plan ornithology survey programmes to industry best practice.
- Coordinate, manage and mentor a team of field-based ornithologists.
- Plan and allocate staff resources to projects to complete ongoing and forecasted workload.
- Input on and assist with the compilation of successful tenders to win work in a competitive market.
- Research and implement best-practice ornithology survey techniques and guidance for use in all work undertaken.
- Review ongoing field survey results and interpret for interim presentation to clients and with final project outputs in mind
- Build strong relationships with clients, authorities and stakeholders, and proactively manage the client relationships to deliver the level of customer service expected.,
- Drive the adoption of the most efficient survey and data management techniques, including by using technology for capturing and recording field survey data.
- Guide and review reports prepared by other Ornithology team members and write report inputs commensurate with your level of expertise as Principal Ornithologist.
- Undertake specialist ornithology fieldwork commensurate with your level of expertise, as required in the fulfilment of the Principal Ornithologist’s role.
The key requirements of the post will be:
- A third-level qualification in ecology, environmental or natural sciences, or other related fields that give the candidate the necessary skills to fulfil the role.
- A minimum of 10 years’ post-graduate experience in fulfilling similar functions or in a similar consultancy or professional role.
- Experience of undertaking research projects in the field of ornithology, and utilising or developing best-practice survey guidelines.
- Experience of technical/scientific report writing.
- A proven track record at building long-term professional relationships with clients and key ornithology stakeholders.
- To already be or to be working towards becoming a person of recognised standing in the ornithology community.
- Commercially-savvy and business-minded.
- Demonstrable ability to manage the busy and varied workload of a busy team of ornithologists.
- A full driving licence.
Successful candidates will be offered an attractive salary package, including bonus/profit-share, commensurate with their experience. Any successful candidate relocating from outside Ireland will be offered an additional relocation allowance.
Candidates interested in the available position should apply by emailing an up to date Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter/Email detailing why they feel they are suited to the Principal Ornithologist role, to email@example.com